Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Should Atheists be allowed to marry in Christian churches?

When my husband and I were planning our wedding we had a lot of trouble finding a church that would marry us with him being an atheist, I had totally given up and knew my parents would be infuriated if I were marrying an Atheist outside of a Christian church. We were at the last church in town, we told the minister John was Atheist and he immediately said no, "I cannot marry an Atheist in a Christian church! I could never do that" I think I was actually crying at that point because I knew my father, a very strict unemotional man, would never attend the wedding if it was not in a church.. My husband continued speaking with the priest finally he agreed on one condition... If we were to have children they were to be raised in that church as Christian's, this was not only completely ridiculous to my husband, it was out of the question, in the back of my mind I knew that if I had children with John they were to be Christian but John, however did not know that which made the deal with the minister easy for me. John continued to refuse... blah blah blah.. we got married and here we are baby in the oven... Getting to the point.


Should Atheists and Christians be allowed to marry in Christian churches?


Of course I think they should be allowed, I really don't see why some churches don't allow it. I guess they could feel threatened that the Atheists will convert the Christians but you don't really need to marry an Atheist for them to convert you. It could be a good thing, the Christian could convert the Atheist. I was using my BFF (Google) today and found this chart, I don't know why it made me giggle but it did :



     
    64 Christians who married a Christian72 Christians who married non-Christians
    Remained a faithful Christian92% (59)27% (22)
    Left the Church8% (5)72% (57)
    Divorced3% (2)32% (25)
    Converted Their Mates----17% (14)

 And I'll share a few funny "facts" I also found on this, ridiculous website.


When two Christians marry, it is a guarantee their relationship will be more satisfying than if two unbelievers married one another. (Many non-Christian couples are more mature than Christian Couples. 2 Timothy 3:5)



The vices a person has before marriage will be removed once they are married. (The only way vices are removed is when we are converted and repent)


I think Christians should be able to marry Atheists, Jews , Buddhists and every other religion in Christian churches. What do you think?



  • Should Christians marry outside of their religion?
  • Should Christians be able to marry other religions in Christian churches?
  • Do you think a two-part Christian marriage is more successful than a couple of two separate religions?  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner