Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hmm..

I've been married to my husband for almost four years now and the whole non-Christian thing slipped under the mat until... My parents arranged a huge family reunion (I grew up in South Carolina, my family still lives there) So hubs and I flew up to SC, most of my family know my husband and were at the wedding and so on but a lot of my cousins live out of state too. So my husband and I were sitting at a table with my parents at the hotel where the reunion was and who walks over? My favorite cousin Lisa... (It was her job in life to make me miserable). Lisa is married and she has four kids, her husband works for an accounting company in Wisconsin, I didn't invite Lisa to the wedding.
She walks up to us with her son on her hip "Rachel, how are you. I haven't seen you in forever!" I fight back rolling my eyes, I can't stand this girl. "Lisa, hi i'm wonderful how are you?" I put on my best phony smile. "Ugh, you know raising kids keeping up with the housework.. My husband just works so much! I see you're still looking for the right guy... How old are you? 25? You know women over 30 who have kids have a higher risk of Down Syndrome.. poor angel" I suck in a deep breath. "Lisa, this is my husband John" I swear I seen her flinch, she stood there for a moment looking at me then my husband. "You're  married?" she said looking at me. "Yes. For three years" I said holding up my hand showing her my rings. My parents and husband stayed completely silent during this whole exchange. "Nice to meet you" she said looking at John, then walking over to my mother and sitting down. I sighed, sure that she heard me. "So.. Rach, tell me everything"...


After what seemed like 3 days Lisa finally said. "So what church do you attend in Texas?" I stopped and looked at John, I'm not ashamed of my husband but i'm always hesitant to tell my family he's not Christian ONLY because I know how amazing rude some of them can be. My mom smiled when Lisa asked this, I panicked slightly but finally worked it up to tell her. "We don't go to church..very much.." Her jaw dropped it was like I told her I joined forces with Jack the ripper. "What!" "John's not Christian.." I said staring her in the eyes...


And that is how I was outed to my family.
More later..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design By:
SkinCorner